There are few people in Colorado Springs who would admit to enjoying power outages. Even if they are planned or anticipated, the lack of power creates an inconvenience and in other cases, chaos. As the top electricians in Colorado Springs, we at One Source Home Service have compiled a guide that would help you prepare for future power outages. Read on to learn what you should do before, during, and after a power outage.
How Can I Prepare for a Power Outage?
Regardless of where you live, you should always be prepared for a power outage. As seasoned electricians in Colorado Springs, we suggest you be prepared for such events ahead of time. This will ensure that your family is safe, comfortable, and calm in the midst of the uncertainty of power outages. Luckily, the following the things we suggest are things that you have to do only once to ensure the safety of your family.
Build A Power Outage Kit
There’s nothing that will make you call an electrician in Colorado Springs faster than being unprepared for a power outage. We highly recommend you gather a kit of essential supplies to use during this time. The things you want readily available are the following:
- First Aid Kit
- Bottled Water
- Flashlights & Batteries
- Non-perishable foods
- Manual Can Opener
- Special Needs Items
- Battery-operated Radio
Having these items on hand will make a significant difference in the comfort and security you experience during a power outage.
The Power Is Out – What Do I Do?
Say the power went out in your house. What do you do now? Do you call an emergency electrician in Colorado Springs? Though that may be tempting, we suggest you one of the following:
- Check local news or updates from the local power authorities to see if the power outage was planned. If it was planned, you’ll just have to wait it out.
- If you weren’t expecting this power outage, check the circuit breaker for blown fuses. In this case, you’ll need the assistance of an emergency electrician to get your power running again.
- Check with your neighbors to see if they have power. This will help you determine if the issue is only in your house or if its a neighborhood-wide power outage.
- If there is a downed line around the house or neighborhood, call 911 as soon as possible.
Most importantly, it is important to stay calm during a power outage. Avoid panicking and make use of your power outage kit. If you’re in doubt, it doesn’t hurt to call an electrician in Colorado Springs for help.
What to do After a Power Outage
When the power comes back on, there are several steps you must take to ensure that you and your household members are safe.
- Make sure to throw away any spoiled food
- Check your freezer – if things in there are thawed out, check for spoilage. In general, if the temperature in there is below 40°F, the food should still be fine.
- If you see downed lines, keep your kids and pets away from them.
- When you have the chance, restock any items you used up in your Power Outage Kit to be prepared for next time
When to Call an Electrician in Colorado Springs During a Power Outage
So when does a power outage warrant a call to an electrician? In a chaotic time of a power outage, you may be tempted to call everyone and their mother for help. However, you will never be judged for calling an electrician too early because there is no such thing.
As the top emergency electricians in Colorado Springs, One Source Home Services takes extra measures to stay informed about the weather conditions and local ordinances that would impact your power supply. We will be happy to hear from you in your time of need.
Contact One Source Home Service if:
- The power outage is isolated only to your home
- If there are downed power lines
- If you live in an older home that doesn’t have power surger protectors – an electrician should be on hand to help the power back on safely.