Electrical surges are the silent killers of many electronics and appliances. It’s rare to notice their devastation in action, but we will all notice their effects afterwards. What is an electrical surge and how does it happen? In this article, the season and highly trained emergency electricians of One Source Home Service will answer these questions.
What is An Electrical Surge?
An electrical surge is a spike in voltage. This spike happens faster than a blink of the eye but is strong enough to cause great damage to electronics or appliances currently plugged into the affected outlet.
The consequences of such damage are very apparent. You will end up paying to have that electronic equipment repaired or replaced, and you’ll have to investigate the cause of the surge.
As the leading electricians in Colorado Springs, we understand that electrical surges are caused by the following factors:
If you have any faulty wiring around the house, you are at risk for an electrical surge. Faulty wiring will present itself as with frayed endings, damaged, or exposed wires.
As these wires come in contact with water or other things, they will spark and send a surge through their wiring system. This can result in a burning smell or darkened outlets.
If you notice these signs, it is best to call an emergency electrician to help make the necessary repairs.
Electrical surges cause a lot of damage for every appliance. Read our blog to learn about its devastating effects on your air conditioning system.
Sometimes you can have a perfectly engineered and maintained electrical system, but sometimes it can still be no match for a lightning storm. Lightning is an extra strong dose of electricity that can cause an electric surge anywhere it lands.
If lightning hits your home, it can spike the electricity so high that anything plugged into the system can instantly be ruined. Because we cannot avoid lightning storms when they do come, it is best to ensure that your home is protected with whole home surge protectors. Contact your local electrician in Colorado Springs to learn more about these protectors.
An electrical surge can also be caused by a circuit board overload. This is more common in big homes where the electricity isn’t correctly sized for the home’s needs. Also, if too many appliances are using the outlet, the overload can cause a power surge as well and lead to a power surge.
Recently, we wrote an article about GFCI outlets and how they can prevent electrical shocks. Check it out on the blog.
Sometimes a power outage can be the culprit behind a power surge. In fact, this might be the most common reason behind a surge. When the power goes out, all the appliances and everything that requires power will turn off at the same time. In the same way, when the power goes back up, everything that is plugged in will power back up together.
When a lot of the electronics and appliances turn back on together, that spike can overwhelm the breaker and cause a surge. Obviously, it will lead to many of these electrical appliances to break down. For this reason, we recommend at least consulting an emergency electrician for advice on how to turn everything back on in a safe manner.
A power outage is a great time to call a local electrician. Check out our blog for other reasons you might want to call an emergency electrician.
Emergency Electricians in Colorado Springs
Do you think your home may have experienced an electrical surge? Stay calm and call One Source Home Service, your neighborhood expert on all things electrical. One Source Home Service is available 24/7 to assist you in your electrical needs.
Our electricians will be able to determine if the electrical surge happens, and provide the necessary repairs to promote a safe home for you. Don’t hesitate to call us today at (719) 532-9000.